Becker’s CIS team:
Vanessa Ordones-Hankins (Program Manager) – email@example.com
Meredith Evett – firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about CIS, please visit https://ciscentraltexas.org
Communities In Schools (CIS) builds relationships that empower students to stay in school and succeed in life. Our school-based staff partner with teachers to identify challenges students face in class or at home. CIS staff members provide individual and small group social/emotional support and counseling, family support, and also coordinate with community partners to bring outside resources inside schools. From immediate needs like food or clothing to more complex ones like counseling or emotional support, we do whatever it takes to help students succeed. Our services are free and voluntary.
SmartKids is an additional part of our CIS program at Becker. This program focuses on our students from HACA communities like Meadowbrook. In addition to individual, group, and family support, it brings afterschool programming to the site two days a week. During the program, students eat a healthy snack, have time for homework and/or reading, and participate in enriching activities. SmartKids serves elementary, middle, and high schools students Meadowbrook.
Some CIS Becker highlights include:
- Intensively serving 90+ students
- SmartKids elementary attendance consistently at 15-20 students
- Holiday assistance for 40+ families
- 18 volunteer matches (reading buddies, mentors), 10 SmartKids volunteers
- Partnering with agencies such as Girls Empowerment Network and Christi Center to provide services for students
- CIS family events
- Basic needs support – backpacks, bus passes, snacks/food, clothing, etc.